Sunday, July 11, 2010

Oko cat's best cat litter

This might not be the most thrilling subject to write or read a review about. But as I surf around the net in search of information about pets, I often bump into questions about cat litter. As I am the proud owner of a tortoiseshell cat that takes a shits and pees like any other living creature, I needed to find some good cat litter. I've tried a lot of marks but found Oko cat the best one.

Genral
Mark: Okö Cat's Best
Product: Clumping Wood Pellet Litter
Contents: 10, 20 or 40 liter
Price at Zooplus:£ 7,50; £ 14 or £26

The looks and feels of the bag
The litter is packed in a big thick papered bag, it feels like thin cardboard. On the front there's a picture of cats and some product information. The bag has a grip so it is easy to transfer. The biggest bag has 40 liters in it but it only weighs 18 kilo.

The litter and it's use
The cat-litter consists of 100% biodegradable vegetable material. After removing the dirt, it can be used to make compost. The dirt can be flushed trough the toilet but personally I would not recommend that. The cat litter has a light brown color and consists of small irregular pieces that are about 0,3 - 0,5 cm. When pouring down the litter in the cat's box it does not create dust. The smell of it is slight woody but neutral. When a cat pees on it, it absorbs everything and clumps well, The smell of urine does not come trough quickly.

My opinion
I've used this litter for 2 years now. The big bags are a bit heavy for me but they are manageable. Opening the bag is easy because the packaging has a rope to draw it open. My cat is very picky and uses 2 closed cat's boxes. One to pee and one to poop. When filling a cat's box I pour 5 centimeter of litter in it. My cat uses it daily and every evening I pick up the dirt to avoid smells. The pee makes it clump well so the clumps are easy to pick up. I have however forgotten to clean the dirt when I was sick and the cat litter only begins to smell after a week. At the end of every other week, I pour out some fresh litter on the old. The other week I clean the cat's box completely. Refuse bags are quite expensive so the cat litter ends up on my compost container.  A 40 liter bag lasts 2 - 3 months.
The only thing that bothers me is the fact it tracks a lot. To avoid cat litter trough every room of the house, I put down a fake carpet of grass. That manages to capture most of those little pieces. The price of the cat liter is somewhat high when being compared with other marks. But other marks smell quickly and are rarely biodegradable. My cat seems to like this litter so I'll keep using it as long as it does not get any more expensive.

Advantages: Clumps well, No smell, Biodegradable
Disadvantages:
Expensive, Tracks a lot
Summary: If you're looking for a biodegradable,, well absorbing, neutral smelling cat litter, buy this!

---This review has also been posted on dooyoo--- 

No comments:

Post a Comment